Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vintage inspiration: Victory gardens

British WWII poster (via)
British WWII poster (via)
St. James Park victory garden, London, circa 2008 (via)
Besides being an excuse to share great vintage posters, I was charmed by the recent, 2-yr St. James Park Victory Garden project, meant to re-inspire that grow your own spirit from WWII.

(During WWII, the UK promoted victory gardens--using deftly-designed images, like those above--to combat food shortages).

A week of WWII rations, BBC2's "Supersizers Go Wartime" (via)
For more, a funny-wacky-wack BBC2 show (above) chomped on British food history and food from that era. See a YouTube clip.

P.S. WWII victory gardens were also heavily promoted in Hawaii and the U.S. I still remember older folks in Hawaii discussing it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the vintage posters! Have a sweet day!

Jude said...

Thanks!! Seriously, I'd love it if posters like these were still designed today!

Stacey said...

I am loving the vintage poster and great info on the victory garden. I have a little garden of my own(not a victory one:-)), but more like a "save some money and grow your own one". I guess it has something in common with a victory garden. I am happy you stopped by my blog. Please come back again:-). I will be back to yours. Have a lovely day!

Jude said...

Hi Stacey - I admire anyone who can garden! (I definitely do NOT have a green thumb :) It's such fun to discover great blogs -- look forward to more of your posts too!

Rowena said...

It's funny because I just got done reading an article on how agribusiness is trying to push forward and convert the masses more than ever with "myths", so in a certain sense, cultivating an environmentally-responsible organic garden these days is certainly a victory to be proud of.

Jude said...

Hi Rowena - so so true! Agribusiness is a kinda scary thing, esp. in the States...(it seems maybe better in Italy and other parts of Europe, I think?)

Related Posts with Thumbnails