Monday, December 20, 2010

Warming up for a new week: Cauliflower soup

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend & I must apologize for my unintended weeklong hiatus - sudden work travel & deadlines kept me from going online much. But I'm so looking forward to visiting!
Meantime, what could be better for fortifying ourselves against a new week than warming soup? My significant other greeted my return with this soothing recipe - perfect for body and soul!
~ Wishing you a perfectly soothing week ahead! ~
***
CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP (Serves 4 to 6)
Adapted very slightly (skim milk, not whole) from a Cook's Illustrated recipe I jotted down ages ago. This soup can be pureed in one batch in most 5-7 cup blenders. 
  • 2 tablespoons (~30g) butter, olive oil, or vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, 3 medium shallots, or 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped
  • 2 tablespoons (~30ml) white wine
  • 1 medium head (about 2 pounds, or 32 ounces) cauliflower, stems discarded and florets cut into bite size pieces to yield 5 cups
  • 2 cups (~500ml) chicken or vegetable stock
  • Salt and ground white pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon (~5g) ground coriander
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cups (~125-155ml) skim (fat-free) milk
  • Optional: minced fresh chives or parsley
Heat butter or oil in a large (easily-pourable) saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until golden, about 5 minutes. Add wine & cauliflower; stir until wine evaporates, about 30 seconds.

Add stock, salt and pepper to taste, and ground coriander to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover & cook cauliflower until tender, about 12 minutes.

Pour or ladle cauliflower mixture into blender. Add 1/2 cup milk; blend until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan; cook over low heat until warmed through. If soup is too thick, stir in more milk. Adjust seasonings.

Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with minced chives or parsley and chow! (Preferrably with crusty bread :)).

Little notes:
If you don't have a standard blender for pureeing, the next best thing is a handheld immersion blender, but don't use a food processor because it tends to leak hot liquid. (I think I mentioned this tip in the past, but since I keep making this silly mistake myself, I thought it was worth repeating!)

(Images via  Mixed Greens Blog and Parade.)

38 comments:

K and S said...

sounds yummy! have a nice week!

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I'm always on the lookout for a new soup. I'll give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Looks very nice and taste!
Kisses.

ann low said...

Love this comforting soup. Good for rainy season too!
Please come to my blog and join a little Christmas giveaway.
Merry Christmas :)

Signe said...

Oh I love homemade cauliflower soup!
And a happy Monday to you :)

Justine said...

sounds absolutely delicious, perfect for a cold day.

Unknown said...

mmm, this looks delicious!
have a lovely xmas week!

little luxury list said...

Mmm and this version uses skim milk! Thanks for the recipe!

Angie Willis said...

Thanks Jude. That's a lovely recipe and I'll try it very soon. Lovely photo of the cauliflower too!

Lisa Gordon said...

So glad you're back Jude!!
This looks perfect for this time of year.
Thank you for sharing, and have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Brandi said...

The first time I had cauliflower soup I was completely surprised by it because I don't like cauliflower (well, not often) but I do really like it as soup. I can't wait to try your recipe!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

That looks like just about the perfect thing to make for dinner this evening and I already have all the ingredients! Thanks Jude.

ag. said...

Ooh, that looks so yummy! Perfect for these chilly days...I could really go for a bowl right now!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Glad you're back! And this sounds delish! I love cauliflower soup :) xoxo

Nicki said...

Though I took many blogging breaks last week due to finals, I still missed you last week, Jude!! Hope your holiday season is going well!!

Rosie Grey said...

I so missed you, Jude! Glad you're back and with such a great recipe, too! Have a great week!

Stacey said...

Welcome back Jude-Missed ya although i wasn't on either. I've never had cauliflower soup, so i'll be bookmarking this for the hubby to give it a try. I hope you'll have a less busy week(this week) and Happy Monday! XX

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Oh I want a bowl of this!! It looks so good!
Hope you had a good week and glad you are back!

Kristin H said...

mmm sounds good and healthy!
Yes, missed you in the blog world with your wonderful comments!! Have a great day!!

*** said...

This looks so yummy. Perfect comfort food.

P.S. Stop by my blog is you have a chance - I am hosting an amazing EmersonMade Giveaway, just in time for the holidays.

http://stylesncream.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-first-giveaway-with-amazing.html

this free bird said...

You're speaking my language, friend. We're supposed to have this for din tonight! IF the last of the shopping doesn't over take us. oy

xo,
c

Amber said...

now if i could just find someone to make this for me life would be perfect :)

Design Elements said...

it's sounds and looks so yummy :-). I've enjoyed yopur comment. I noticed you were away. Hope you had a wonderful time. Best for the holidays

Sandy a la Mode said...

hi love!! i missed u soo much while i was on my cruise!!! this recipe looks soo delicious and healthy too~!!

Collette Osuna said...

Ive had this soup before, it really is delicious!!

Stop by and say Hello:)
Statements in Fashion Blog♥

Style, She Wrote said...

I love cauliflower and this looks absolutely delish! xo style, she wrote

LyddieGal said...

Mmmmm, I adore cream soups, and this looks really good! Sounds pretty simple as well!

Chic on the Cheap

Vinda Sonata said...

glad you're back, jude. where are you going to be this holiday?:)
and this cream soup looks really promising. i've heard so many times about chicken, cream, and cabbage soup but never a cauliflower soup before. guess this is going to be different. yummy:) thanks for sharing!!

vintch said...

so crazy...i'm in the middle of doing a post all about soup myself! tis the season:) this sounds awesome! i'm all about finding ways to incorporate more cauliflower into my diet! it's so healty and delicious, but i can't think of anything to do with it besides eat it raw with some ranch dip or mash it up like potatoes...so thank you, thank you, thank you for this awesome recipe:)

Mary R said...

yay for cook's illustrated again! Have a great holiday, Jude!

Lee Oliveira said...

10 days without your yummy recipes wasn't good :-()
only joking...
hope you are having a wonderful break.
I had the cauliflower before and it's delicious..
but I almost had 6 slices of sourdough (wholemeal one tho). hahahaha
Beautiful picture..
LOx

Diana Mieczan said...

That is one perefct soup:) You know how I feel about soups...and I must make this one soon:) Hugs and kisses

Annie said...

You know I LOVE cauliflower soup.. this recipe sounds delicious!!!

jacqueline said...

Dearest sweet jude, this soup looks so yummie! I am a huge fan of soup and this is perfect for my sick days...ive been down with a little flu bug. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

Anonymous said...

I am bookmarking this page! I love soups so I am definitely going to make this. I'm not such a cauliflower person but I bought one recently because I wanted my son to eat it and believe it was a yummy veg (?!)... and I put it in the oven with garlic and olive oil, then parmesan, and it really was good!

Oh, My Darling said...

Yum, cauliflower is so good! Definitely bookmarking this recipe.

shopgirl said...

Looks delicious sweetie! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

xoxo

Sarah {Raving Fashionista} said...

Mmmm I'm not usually a huge cauliflower fan but this sounds pretty yummy!!

xo www.RavingFashionista.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails